Sometimes life consumes even the best of relationships. Since Matt and I have totally opposite jobs it's that much more important for us to make time for each other. I've mentioned before that we do a date night every weekend, but we also make it a point to try and have dinner together every weeknights. At least the ones where neither of us have after work plans which is roughly at least 2 days out of the week.
What does that mean? A meal with absolutely no distractions. No TV, no cell phones, absolutely no interruptions. It forces us to talk about anything and everything going on in our day. Since we don't spend every waking minute together (nor would we want to), we make it a point to have time set aside for us. So what did we eat as we enjoyed our one meal together this week? A tasty (and easy) pork tenderloin with roasted brussel sprouts.
For the pork tenderloin:
- 1 lb pork tenderloin (butterflied)
- 2 tbsp of dijon
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of white wine
For the brussel sprouts:
- 1 pound of brussel spouts sliced in quarters
- 4 strips of chopped bacon or pancetta
- 1 tbsp of chopped sage
- 1 sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup of dried cherries
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
Directions for pork tenderloin:
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium to high heat.
- Season pork with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Rub dijon mustard on seasoned pork.
- Place pork tenderloin on heated pan. Cook for 7 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Reduce pan to medium heat and add white wine, as well as chicken broth. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Slice pork tenderloin and drizzle drippings over pork.
Directions for brussel sprouts:
- Heat oven at 375 degrees.
- Mix chopped bacon and white wine in large bowl with 1 tsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes.
- While onions are roasting mix brussel sprouts and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- When onions are done roasting, add to roasting pan and mix well with onions.
- Place mixture back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add dried cherries and place mixture back in the over for 3 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
|Do you and your significant other make it a point to have dinner together? What are some things that you do to ensure that you are able to spend quality time with one another?|