Earlier this week I was so ecstatic when Nordstrom Rack invited me to come shop their "Clear the Racks" clearance event that's currently going on in each store. I thought to myself, "This is the PERFECT way to shop the clearance racks for pieces that can transition into the Fall."
I went to the store on State Street and was greeted by the Customer Service Manager, Kelly, who was kind enough to show me all the great stuff that's been marked down for the big event. I went in with one purpose - shop ONLY the clearance racks to buy pieces that can be worn now AND in the Fall. Of course I was distracted by all the new inventory of J Brand jeans, Michael Kors coats, Thread for Thought tees and All Saints Spitalfields dresses, but I resisted my urge, then used my rules to continue on with my task. So what are my rules when shopping for transitional pieces:
- Basics = foundation for any outfit. Tanks, tees, cardigans - these are things that you'll use in any season. Cold weather is dependent on layers so stock up on the discounted items that you can layer on top of each other.
- Solid colored dresses are universal. A solid color dress is easy to pair with tights and boots in the winter. But what if it's sleeveless? Throw on a cardi or throw a button down underneath and that solves the issue.
- Fall has use for summer denim. Do you ever find that sometimes there's too much pant to tuck into your boots? Cropped jeans are perfect for tucking into knee high boots. No one will ever know that you're missing an inch or more of denim on each pant leg.
- Shorts are basically skirts (sort of). Last Fall I loved having shorts as an alternative for skirts. So long as they're the right color, material or print - you can throw on your tights and pair with tops, as you would with your favorite skirt.
- Keep your toes covered. Flats are useful all year long. If you find that ballet flats are on super clearance because the color is off season. Use them to spruce up any outfit that needs a splash of color.
With these rules in mind, here's what I was able to score.
- Ella Moss polk-a-dot shorts - $33.00 (originally priced at $132)
- 2 Splendid tank tops - $7.90/each (originally priced at $41.00)
- Victoria Beckham moss green jeans - $54.00 (originally priced at $216.00)
- Report boots - $9.99 (originally priced at $119.96)
- Caslon cardigan - $7.80 (originally priced at $52.00)
TOTAL SAVINGS: $481
I'm so excited that I scored amazing items at a great price, but even better is that I can wear them now while it's still 90+ temps and again when it goes down into the 30s. Thanks again to the wonderful team at Nordstrom Rack for being so accommodating and providing me with a gift card to take advantage of the fantastic sale. Definitely check it out if you have a chance and find great summer pieces you can also enjoy in the Fall. Can't make it in store? No worries - they have the clearance going on at Nordstrom Rack online.
|Do you transition some of your summer items into the Fall? Any rules you like to keep in mind when you bring summer pieces into the new season?|