I find that my best creations are made when I have random items in my fridge that need to be used. I had mini heirloom tomatoes and if I didn't use them they were going to get tossed. So I quickly put my thinking cap on and put together this easy pasta salad with items that I already had at home. This version of the salad is gluten-free, but you can easily swap out the brown rice pasta for your favorite short noodle.
What you'll need:
- (2) lemons
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 2 cups of cooked and cooled pasta
- 1 package of turkey pepperoni
- 1 package of grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber (cubed)
- 2 green peppers (sliced)
- 1 cup of sliced kalamata olives + 2 tbsp of the olive juice
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tbsp of EVOO
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large glass bowl add juice from lemons, red wine vinegar and red onion. Leave out at room temperature for 15 minutes. This will cut the bitterness of the onion.
- Add all remaining ingredients (minus salt and pepper) into bowl.
- Mix with onions and vinegar until everything is evenly coated.
- The pepperoni and feta are both fairly salty, but use salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or store in fridge.
This recipe makes about 8 (1 cup) servings and is a great salad to bring for lunch the next day. I personally think the way I made it lacks some protein, but this salad would be served great with some cubed grilled chicken or as a side to grilled salmon.