I don't remember who introduced me to spaghetti squash a few years ago, but whoever it was changed my life for the better. As much as I love pasta, pasta doesn't love me and brown rice pasta is good, but I limit myself to one meal a day with some kind of starchy carb. Spaghetti squash is the perfect replacement for noodles. Although it won't taste the same, it's just as good to pair with your favorite marinara, pesto, etc. In this case, I re-created my favorite go to "everything but the kitchen sink" pasta with chicken Italian sausage, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli and lots of other great veggies.
Directions on how to cook spaghetti squash:
- Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees
- Puncture holes into spaghetti squash with fork and microwave for 3 minutes (this will help soften it before you cut it in half)
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds
- Lightly brush olive oil into each half and lay open face down on a baking pan
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes (timing can vary depending on the size of the spaghetti squash)
- When cooked scrape squash with fork and toss with your favorite pasta toppings