I've been hearing about The Meatloaf Bakery for many months now, which is a local bakery with some un-conventional types of cupcakes. Essentially, it's a "bakery" that specializes in variations of meatloafs and meat based treats. For awhile I've been wanting to try their meatloaf cupcake, but because of sheer laziness and lack of interest in finding parking around that neighborhood I haven't visited yet. However, I like a cooking challenge and always think that I can re-create my own version of restaurant specialties...so that's what I did.
Using a modified version of this meatloaf recipe (sans breadcumbs and some meat changes) I baked this in a cupcake tin instead of molding it into a loaf. While the "muffins" were baking, I made mashed garlic cauliflower "frosting". Instead of traditional mashed potatoes, I love replacing that craving with mashed cauliflower. It's tasty, less starchy and therefore it doesn't give you that urge to un-button your jeans after eating a meal.
Here's what you'll need for mashed cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower washed and chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of salted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower and garlic cloves in large pot
- Cover with water and place on stove at high heat until it starts boiling
- Boil until cauliflower is tender (roughly 12 to 15 minutes)
- Drain cauliflower/garlic and place back in pot w/ butter
- Mash cauliflower, garlic and better with potato masher until most chunks have broken down
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste as you go to get the flavor you want
- Place cauliflower into food processor and pulse until it reaches a creamy texture