Last week I had dinner with two girlfriends and got to talking about how much we LOVE brussel sprouts. In our conversation, we talked about ways of cooking them and I mentioned that aside from roasting, sauteed brussel sprouts have quickly become my favorite. It's interesting how the vegetable that once had a bad rep seems to be the new must have.
Here's what you'll need for my sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon and dried cherries:
- 1 small sliced red onion
- 1 package sliced brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 3 strips of un-cooked bacon chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan brown bacon bits until cooked. Place bacon bits on a paper towel lined plate to soak up the oil and set aside.
- Discard 1/2 of the bacon fat, but keep a good amount in so it looks like the pan is coated.
- Add red onions and brussel sprouts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until onions are almost translucent
- Fold in dried cherries and bacon bits into brussel sprouts
- Serve as a warm side dish or let cool for a light side salad