Even though I continue to crave chocolate chip muffins for breakfast and pasta for dinner, I'm slowly trying to get myself back into eating healthy again. After 9+ months of using my "I'm pregnant" get out of jail free card, I'm serious about getting my ass back in pre-pregnancy shape. Since I can't work out yet, it all starts with how I'm eating. This recipe isn't a new one, but one of my faves that I overplayed a few years ago so it's been awhile since I made it. It's just as good as I remembered and is super easy to make.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1.5 lbs of ground chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped garlic
- 1 can of bamboo shoots chopped
- 3 chopped green onion stalks
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup of Oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup of Hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 12 lettuce cups or romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- In a large pan heat vegetable oil and add yellow onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Saute for 2 minutes before onions become translucent.
- Add ground chicken to onion mixture and brown meat.
- Add Hoisin and Oyster sauce to meat until evenly coated. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and bamboo shoots. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve in lettuce cups.
If you're like me and enjoy your food on the spicier side, you can serve these with hot Chinese mustard or Sriracha hot sauce. Enjoy!