Having the stomach bug is worse than any other sickness. At that moment you feel like complete death and unlike other illnesses that have some drug that offers temporary relief, the stomach bug is one that you have to plow through as best as you can. Unfortunately for my household, it's hit us 2 weekends in a row...awesome. Lucky for us we've found a key of remedies that have made coping with the stomach bug a little more tolerable.
Aside from sticking to a B.R.A.T. diet (Banana Rice Applesauce Tea) diet, there are a few other things that can help relieve the nausea, but also help your stomach recover a lot quicker. Here are my favorite remedies that have helped us these passed 2 weekends.
- Kefir Probiotic: While the thought of dairy is unappetizing while you're sick and could make you feel worse, Lifeway's Kefir probiatic is a lactose free smoothie like drink and has all the live cultures you need to help your tummy feel better. I never thought to take a probiotic, but my doc says that these goodies will help build up the good bacteria that will fight off the bad one that have over taken your body.
- Gin Gins Ginger Chews: Ginger is very much an acquired taste, but anything ginger can surely reduce nausea. There's a reason why people always recommend ginger ale when you have a stomach flu. Gin Gins Ginger Chews by The Ginger People taste like chewy ginger candy that are sweet and spicy at the same time. One of these little suckers are sure to help kick nausea to the curb.
- Le Digestif loose leaf tea: Lucky for me I live down the street from a David's Tea, so when I was on round 2 of the stomach bug I immediately made a trip to the little shop. Their Le Digestif blend is a perfect combination of fennel, peppermint, ginger and other goodies - all things that help settle your stomach. I kid you not, after having a serving of this hot tea my stomach felt so much better. The more a drank, the more I started feel like a human. It works!
- Smartwater: Aside from wine and coffee, water is my primary beverage of choice. While most folks drink Gatorade, Smartwater is my choice of electrolytes. For little ones, Pedialyte is a great choice and honestly any drinks that have electrolytes is perfect while you're sick.
- Heating Pad: When you have any flu, it's inevitable that the chills are part of the symptoms and no matter how many layers you wear nothing can help you keep warm. A heating pad, specifically on your stomach or neck where you keep a lot of tension, will help your body warm up fast and relieve any aches your body is experiencing.
While the stomach bug is a complete pain, once you overcome it all you'll feel as good as new. Just remember, even though you might feel better after a day or two of being sick - your stomach is still recovering so stick to that bland diet for about a week. Trust me...I learned the hard way. :( Here's to a happy and healthy week!